Friday, October 7, 2011

Breakup Song Blast

Put on the comfy jammies, light some candles, pour a glass of wine, and crank up the volume with these songs on repeat. This is a necessary process in recovering after a breakup. When you listen to sad songs about breakups, it reminds you that you are not alone and that others have felt the same heartbreak. Others have moved on, and so will you. You might have a good cry, but time heals everything.

1. “Almost Lover” by A Fine Frenzy


The chorus tugs at any listener’s heartstrings. It’s about finding someone you thought was “the one” but ultimately losing him or her. It’s about coming so, so close. The almost lover who almost was.

Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do
 

2. “Goodbye My Lover” by James Blunt

Every ounce of emotion is exploited in his voice. James Blunt sings with so much passion that we cannot help but feel his pain.

You touched my heart you touched my soul.
You changed my life and all my goals.
And love is blind and that I knew when,
My heart was blinded by you.



3. “Soulmate” by Natasha Bedingfield

Ever feel like you are the odd single person in a room full of couples? You are not alone. In one of the most somber ballads ever, Natasha Bedingfield sings about loneliness and wonders when her soulmate will finally come to her.

Who doesn't long for someone to hold
Who knows how to love you without being told
Somebody tell me why I'm on my own
If there's a soulmate for everyone


4. “It Is What It Is” by Lifehouse

Most sad heartbreak songs sing about loneliness or fighting. The music and lyrics are insurmountably beautiful. This is not a song about an actual breakup or cheating. This is a song about realizing that your relationship is no longer what it was and finally just letting it be.

Too long we've been denying
Now we're both tired of trying
We hit a wall and we can't get over it
Nothing to relive
It's water under the bridge
You said it, I get it
I guess it is what it is


5. "Someone Like You" by Adele

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard this song before. With the most powerful set of vocals, Adele expresses the anguish and hurt she feels when meeting with her former lover after some time has passed. He’s clearly moved on, according to her, while she remains frozen in the past, still loving and wanting him like she once did. She wishes him the best, but pleads he not forget her and what they once had. Maybe she will find someone like him. We listeners certainly hope she does.

Never mind
I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you two
Don't forget me I beg
I remember you said
"Sometimes it lasts in love
But sometimes it hurts instead"
Whether you've just been through a breakup or you are having a bad weekend, these songs (coupled with wine and chocolate) remind you that you are not alone and that there will be new happy ever afters in the end. Some people may say listening to sad songs furthers the heartbreak. Personally, a deep and meaningful song is a way of connecting with the artist, a way to purge the sadness so that we can finally move on with the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment